Sunday, October 7, 2012

Makover Chalkboard Style

It's one of those days. You know, the kind of day where you open the fridge, see the day old pizza, and are ecstatically thankful there are two pieces left. I am thankful for a lot of things today, and it was all inspired by the people who visited me at the Crafter's Barn yesterday. You know who you are (wink). I love seeing faithful customers, and oh, how you make me feel  loved.

Sometimes, I feel a little like a mother duck. I'm amazed that (you) are following me, and just when I think I'll look back and everyone will have gone to the pond on the other side, you are there!  You are wonderful people with beautiful souls. You amaze me, and are my inspiration.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  


Which brings me to a very simple project: Chalkboard Style. Need something large to hang on a focal wall? Live in a rental and don't want to put a lot of holes in the wall? Don't want to spend a lot of money, or just want something really cute? Add a chalkboard. 

Here's what I did:
*went to the second hand store and found a hard cardboard 
  picture of a landscape without glass, but with a great detailed
  frame
*bought a can of spray chalkboard paint
*put a piece of painters plastic down outside
*put the picture on plastic and spray painted the daylight out of that
  picture (get it......turned it black, lol).
*Yes, I also painted the frame, but if the frame is a great color, or
  you want to spray paint the frame another color, you sure can. 
  Simply tape it off with painters tape, and cover with newspaper. 
*after the front is dry, flip over to the back and touch up the edges
 
Hint: It doesn't matter if there is a little texture or bumpiness on the picture/painting. The chalkboard paint will cover, and writing on it will work just fine!  Also, chalkboard spray paint works better for smaller areas, no brush marks.

Hanging up in my daughter's kitchen, chalkboard style!

I photoshopped the inside of the chalkboard, so I could write what I wanted, so the chalkboard looks grainier then it really is, but you get the idea.

Hope you all have a wonderful start to your week, and have many things to
 about!
 
Look for your blessings. They are there.
Thanks again, Ele

PS: My husband just walked in with crab from the grocery store (which I love, and he cooks!)......and I was being thankful for pizza. Who'd a thought? Candlelight and crab.................

1 comment:

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

I love making chalkboards! I painted one onto an old round silverplated tray with handles, I painted the inside of the circle, leaving the raised rim plain and outlined the division with "rhinestones". I sold it in my Etsy shop but now I want one! Guess I need to make another one! LOL! Love the flexibility of being able to change the message and even picture (if you're artistic and can draw better than me) Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Leena